These super easy and delicious soy marinated eggs (Ajitsuke Tamago) are so sweet, salty and rich in flavour! They are the perfect addition to any dish, and they basically make themselves!
We wanted to spice things up a little with this recipe, so instead of just marinating the eggs in soy we made a super simple and super yummy chili garlic marinade, topped off with some sesame seeds and acidity from red wine vinegar.
What is the perfect cooking time for the eggs?
For the most perfect soy marinated eggs (in our opinion at least) the eggs need to be boiled for 6 ½ minutes. But if you prefer your eggs another way, these are the times you need to follow:
- Soft egg whites and runny egg yolks – 5 ½ minutes
- Set whites with runny egg yolk – 6 minutes
- Set whites with jammy egg yolk – 6 ½ minutes (we did this)
- Set whites with half set egg yolk – 7 minutes
- Set egg whites and yolks – 8 minutes and above
How long do you have to marinade the eggs?
How long the eggs needs to marinade depends on 1) how long you are willing to wait, and 2) how tasty you want them. We recommend at least 2 hours. But for the most tasty ones, marinade in the fridge for 12 – 24 hours.
What should I do with the rest of the marinade?
You can perfectly reuse the marinade to make even more eggs, or you can use it in other recipes. We used some to baste salmon fillets, and it was awesome! We also ended up using a couple of tablespoons when frying miracle noodles. That tip is for free, you’re welcome.
Delicious Soy Marinated Eggs –– Ajitsuke Tamago ( Keto | Low Carb)Course: Breakfast, Lunch, Brunch, Sides, SnacksCuisine: Asian, JapaneseDifficulty: Easy
These super easy and delicious soy marinated eggs (Ajitsuke Tamago) are so sweet, salty and rich in flavour! They are the perfect addition to any dish.
This recipe takes anywhere between 2-24 hours to complete, depending on how long you want to marinade the eggs. We recommend at least 2 hours.
2 ts Chili flakes
4 Garlic cloves
1 ts Sesame seeds
1.5 dl / 1 cup Soy
0.5 dl / 0.2 cups Water
1 tbsp Red wine vingar
- Bring water to a boil. Once boiling reduce heat so that the water is bubbling and not rolling.
- Add the eggs gently to the water and boil for until they are as perfect as you want them. Here are a some suggested times.
Soft egg whites and runny egg yolks – 5 ½ minutes
Set whites with runny egg yolk – 6 minutes
Set whites with jammy egg yolk – 6 ½ minutes (we did this)
Set whites with half set egg yolk – 7 minutes
Set egg whites and yolks – 8 minutes and above
- Once done, immediately add the eggs to a bowl filled with ice water. After they have cooled off, peel the eggs.
- Chop garlic and combine them with all the ingredients in a container.
- Add your eggs and store in the fridge for 2 – 24 hours. Enjoy!
- Nutrition facts per egg:
90 kcal | 7.3 g protein | 1.3 g net carbs | 5.8 g fat