This recipe has been a long time in the making. But now it’s finally done, and boy is it good! 🤤 This Keto thai coconut soup, or Tom Kha Gai as it is more commonly known as is a staple of thai cuisine and one of the most popular thai dishes in the world.
We haven’t had thai since we started our keto low carb journey. A while ago I started missing it, and thought I would try making it. After giving it a go, I couldn’t quite nail the taste nor get the carbs down. But after letting the recipe rest for a couple of months, I came back with a vengeance and here we are!
What is Tom Kha Gai?
Tom Kha Gai literally means chicken galangal soup in Thai. It is a creamy and delicious coconut based soup with chicken and typical thai spices such as chili, lemongrass, coriander, fish sauce and more. What is galangal you ask? It is a root in the ginger family, but with more citrusy flavour than ginger. Galangal is more difficult to come by, so a lot of people will substitute it with ginger.
Normally restaurants make thai coconut soup with a lot of ingredients that aren’t good on a low carb keto diet. Most of the time they will contain sugar and be served with rice. A lot of recipes require the addition of red thai paste, but most of the time this also contains a lot of sugar.
We made out own paste by combining all the ingredients for the paste in a food processor, but you can also just grate and chop the ingredients.
In order to make the recipe as low carb as possible we omitted a bunch of ingredients you would typically find in a thai coconut soup. You can make it even more low carb by removing the mushrooms.
Soy sauce or Coconut aminos?
We used soy sauce for this recipe, mostly because it is widely available, but also because we couldn’t get hold of coconut aminos. Some people prefer coconut aminos because it isn’t made from soy, but they might contain more carbs. So that is the bonus of using soy sauce. Either way, both work!
Keto Thai Coconut Soup – Low Carb Tom Kha GaiCourse: Dinner, LunchCuisine: ThaiDifficulty: Medium
This Keto thai coconut soup, or Tom Kha Gai as it is more commonly known as is a staple of Thai restaurants and one of the more popular thai dishes there is. And we finally made it low carb!
1 tbs Coconut oil
400 g Chicken Thigh
1 Can (400 ml) Coconut milk
1 Cube Chicken stock
800 ml Water
5-6 (150g) mushrooms (sliced)
2 Lemon grass stalks
Pepper to taste
- Thai paste
4 Garlic cloves
2 tbsp Fresh ginger
2 tbs Soy Sauce / Aminos
1 tsp Sriracha
2 tbs Fish sauce
- Start by combining all the ingredients for the thai paste in a food processor. Blitz until it is all combined. You can also just grate and chop the ingredients in to small pieces.
- Heat coconut oil in a large pot and add the thai paste.
- Slice the mushrooms and add them to the pot. Stir and let them combine with the paste.
- Hit/squash the lemongrass with the side of a chefs knife and chop in to 2-3 chunks and toss them in the pot.
- Add water, chicken stock and coconut milk. Chop the chicken in to bite size pieces and add to the pot. Reduce heat and allow to simmer.
- Before serving squeeze half a lime in to the pot. Garnish with fresh spring onion or coriander/cilantro. Enjoy!
- Nutrition facts per serving:
311 kcal | 22g protein | 3g net carbs | 23g fat
Need more low carb and keto dinner inspiration? Check these out! 😁 And if you have any suggestions for future recipes, feel free to leave us a comment below! 👇 We would love to hear from you!
You can also check out our Instagram account for lots of low carb and keto meals inspo 😊🥑